Blog / Cryptomator 1.3.0 Release

Dieser Blog-Post ist nicht auf Deutsch verfĂźgbar.


We’ve completely rewritten Cryptomator. Its core components are now modularized to CryptoLib, CryptoFS, and WebDAV-NIO-Adapter. A complete list of closed issues is available here.

Improvements

  • Auto-Unlock!!! 🎉 (#40) We finally implemented the most-wished feature. Still experimental and will be completed by autostart (optionally hidden) in future versions
  • New vault format 6 (#521)
  • Added new options to “unlocked” screen: Mount/unmount without locking/unlocking (#452)
  • Network access now filtered by the socket instead of the application (#431)
  • You can now change the socket port without restarting Cryptomator
  • New log system with log file rotation and exposed, user-adjustable configuration

Windows

  • Removed IPv6 flag, Windows will now always mount cryptomator-vault which is mapped to 127.0.0.1 (#512, #529)

macOS

  • Improved macOS Sierra integration, unlocking doesn’t ask for username/password for localhost anymore (#170)
  • Improved iCloud Drive compatibility (#364)
  • Fixed slow startup on some systems
  • Added CMD+, shortcut for preferences

Misc

  • Changed license to GPLv3
  • Dropped SHA-1 signatures in Windows Authenticode code signing
  • Dropped official Windows Vista support
  • Dropped official Ubuntu Vivid and Wily support

Technical Details on Windows Mounting

After we have fixed #431, we noticed various issues on Windows. We tried hosting the virtual drive via localhost, 127.0.0.1, and ::1 but every host has its own issue: Sometimes access to the virtual drive was extremely slow, sometimes Windows showed unnecessary security warnings (#529), and sometimes Office didn’t properly work (#512). That’s why the Windows installer for Cryptomator now writes the new host cryptomator-vault (which is mapped to 127.0.0.1) into the hosts file. Weirdly enough, with that new host, all problems seem to be gone. Even though we don’t quite understand why binding an IP has such a big impact, we just hope that we finally found a good solution!

Under-The-Hood Improvements

We’d like to highlight some improvements that we were able to make under-the-hood: Faster build times, high test coverage for our crypto libraries, and more!

CI Build Times

(Travis CI build numbers are in parentheses)

Branch 1.3.0 1.2.4
Master (Release) 3min (809, 819, 835, 842, 845) 5min (699, 704, 714, 727, 828)
Develop 1.6min (830, 831, 837, 839, 841) 3min (710, 711, 715, 724, 725)

Lines of Code

(determined via cloc --exclude-dir=test --include-lang=Java)

Project 1.3.0 1.2.4
Cryptomator-Desktop 7,249 16,624
CryptoLib 1,447 -
CryptoFS 6,829 -
WebDAV-NIO-Adapter 3,979 -
SIV-Mode 1,238 1,238
Sum 20,742 17,862

Test Coverage

(determined via JaCoCo)

Project 1.3.0 1.2.4
Cryptomator-Desktop 14% 66%
CryptoLib 93% -
CryptoFS 97% -
WebDAV-NIO-Adapter 26% -
SIV-Mode 96% 96%

* passes litmus (WebDAV server test suite)

File Size

File 1.3.0 1.2.4
Cryptomator.jar 9.18 MB 12.1 MB

Evolution of Cryptomator

(made with Gource)


Cryptomator 1.2.4 for iOS

  • Added compatibility to vault version 6
  • Fixed auto-lock bug, which occurred when you opened up the Touch ID settings (#89)
  • Improved filename blacklist, you can now see files and folders that start with a period “.”

We weren’t able to finish Cryptomator 1.3.0 for iOS in time. Some great features are planned for this version. Stay tuned!


Cryptomator 0.6.0 for Android

  • Added compatibility to vault version 6
  • Added external storage support (#50)
  • Added fingerprint support (#14)
  • Added multiple selection for file upload (#30)
  • Added creation and editing of text files
  • Added sharing of texts
  • Added logout of cloud storage services in settings
  • Improved filename blacklist, you can now see files and folders that start with a period “.” (#60)
  • Fixed inaccessible vaults in OneDrive (#55)
  • Further crash/bug fixes and design improvements

This version will be released shortly and might be the last major beta version. We are now in preparations for releasing Cryptomator 1.0.0 for Android. Looking forward to a great first final release!